• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job elimination/unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

honey422

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
Today I was notified that my job has been eliminated. This job consisted of 30 hours/week (considered full time) working from home 2 days a week and in the office 3 days a week.

I was told that my job (as it is currently) no longer exists in the company, but that they would like to offer me another job. The job they offered me is exactly the job they eliminated but it is salaried and working in the office 5 days a week.

I do not want the job they are offering since it is far from home and would now require me to come to the office 2 more days a week.

Would I qualify for unemployment benefits?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

pattytx

How far from home and how much longer (in time) would the commute be than it is now? Honestly, it makes a difference.

honey422

The job is in the same location, which is an hour to an hour and twenty minutes away (depending on traffic). I know this isn't as long of a commute as some people, but the increase in days/hours would significantly increase the amount of time I spend commuting each week.

pattytx

Honestly, I'd give you a slim-to-none chance of being awarded benefits if you refuse this job where, if I'm understanding you correctly, the only difference is that you would be commuting the same amount of miles per day, just 5 times a week instead of 3 days per week. The assumption of the state will likely be that, if that commute was OK with you for 3 days, it should be OK for 5 days.

Under what circumstances was the "work at home" condition intiated? How long have you been working this schedule and have you been working at home 2 days per week ever since you started this particular position?

mlane58

I can't imagine that any unemployment division would grant unemployment benefits for refusing the same work even though you would spend 5 days vs. 3 in the same office you are currently going to.

honey422

Thank you for your responses.

I have worked for this company hourly for 4.5 years as follows:
  • 1099 contract from home (part-time)
  • brought into the office as an employee 20 hours/week (no set times or days required in or out of the office)
  • increased to 30 hours/week (full-time) with no set times or days required in or out of the office
  • required to come in Tuesdays and Thursdays (still 30 hours/week) no set times to work at home
  • 30 hours/week Monday-Thursday...at home Mondays and in the office Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (not required to work Fridays)

The new job would be as follows:
  • salaried as opposed to hourly
  • 40 hours/week instead of 30
  • required in the office M-F

In addition, they are claiming that a new aspect has been added to my job. However, I have been doing this "aspect" for at least 9 months but it has not been in my official job description.

To be honest, I haven't been given a job description since I was first brought in 20 hours/week.

I guess that just feeling "screwed-over" isn't really a valid claim, huh? ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">