• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Giveth, Job Taketh Away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jamielly

:mad:
What is the name of your state?TX

I have worked for the same mtg company for a little over 3 years now. Last August I let my direct mgr know I was interested in taking a position on the sales side of the business. A great opportunity and endless financial opportunities. The two of us got with the mgr over that department and it was all taken to upper management. Though they did try to convince me to stay multiple times while going through all this, it was decided that I would be a great fit and all we needed to do was to get me replaced in my current position and set a date. After this was all discussed, along with the pay schedule for the new comission job, I found out I was pregnant. I have no evidence other than my gut, but have no doubt why this might be why, 6 mths after my first meeting with my direct mgr, I not only have not started this new job, but have now been told I can't have it.

We replaced me and brought in two new people. The time frame for me starting the new job went from December, to beginning of January, and finally a set date of Feb. 7th. I scheduled my last paid vacation the week before my transfer. And we all waited for that date to get here. All my accts were taken from me and given elsewhere. A week before my scheduled vacation, I recv'd a call from the manager over the sales department that our parent company was not allowing my position. Bascially, I would be doing inside sales with brokers in NM. I was told, that they had implemented a new rule that they only allowed brokers in the area, no telephone relationships, as was the job I was given. However, prior to anyone setting anything, we had gotten with this same mgr to verify that this was an open position. It took him over 2 weeks to get us the go ahead. In his call to me to tell me "sorry", he told me he'd never actually been given the go ahead, just assumed that b/c they had done it in the past, they would now. And also that the job had just been "removed" from the Ok'd list, not implemented till 1/1/05-already months after I had been given the job.

What can I do? Can they legally take a job away they had already given? If I was not an inside employee and someone outside our company had given notice at an existing job, do they not have any rights if a week before they start the new job, they are told "sorry, we decided we didn't want to have a position like that any longer.." ??

Even w/out my newly discovered pregnancy (around the middle of Dec), what can I do? I wanted that job, and the promise of it was the only thing keeping me at that company this time.. I was tired in my old position, which I am back doing, and only did not go elswhere before b/c I was told this position was mine..

This isn't the first time this company has screwed me.. but it's the first time I'm not going to sit idly by and let them do it..

Beth3

Yes, they can take the job away. It does happen that a manager fails to get the necessary approval before proceeding with recruiting and offering the job to someone (I've seen it happen more than once) and/or management taking a 180 degree turn on the direction they want to go in when filling a job after recruiting is well underway (I've seen that happen too - in fact, again just last week.) Whether your pregnancy was a factor in any of this obviously no one here can say.

You cannot make them give you the job.

If you want to file a pregnancy discrimination complaint with the EEOC, you're free to do so. Since there are a number of other viable possibilities as to why the job offer was pulled, I don't think you have much of a claim to bring however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">