• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

job offer rescinded...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boston007

What is the name of your state? MA

Ok, after completing all the hiring process, including background check, credit check, driver's license check, etc....The company made me an offer & sent me a written offer, which was signed & returned immediately...

I was asked do complete some things before the actual start date, including reading some material, etc...Which I did...

I was due to go away for a few days for training, this would be the official start. On my way to the airport, I got into a car accident...which was not my fault.
I called HR right away to inform them, they are on a time difference, so I left a message & then called them back. They seemed to understand. I also spoke with my would be manager, who seemed annoyed with me and pressed me with many questions before even asking if I were ok....He then informed me to basically have my phone in hand to wait for his call, which came the next day. He wanted to meet with me local, but I had no car and told him that I would try to see what I could do...I asked him he could meet me the next day, he said no....

HR called the same day and we discussed everything & they said that they would like to try to get me scheduled for the next available training, so everything seemed ok...

The my manager called at 5pm and left a message, stating that he was rescinding the offer with no explanation.....

I am in shock!! I am going to call HR today to discuss....I guess they have the right to rescind, correct?? I just can't believe that a company would rescind because I had an accident that was not my fault & unforseeable.....

As an added bonus, I had contracted with a local daycare & not sure that I can even get out of it, plus I sold my car, as I was getting a co car.....now I am left with nothing....but a headache...

I really wanted this position, I did everything they asked me to do, I just can't believe that a company would treat someone like this..

Thanks for any advice

HomeGuru

Ok, after completing all the hiring process, including background check, credit check, driver's license check, etc....The company made me an offer & sent me a written offer, which was signed & returned immediately...

I was asked do complete some things before the actual start date, including reading some material, etc...Which I did...

I was due to go away for a few days for training, this would be the official start. On my way to the airport, I got into a car accident...which was not my fault.
I called HR right away to inform them, they are on a time difference, so I left a message & then called them back. They seemed to understand. I also spoke with my would be manager, who seemed annoyed with me and pressed me with many questions before even asking if I were ok....He then informed me to basically have my phone in hand to wait for his call, which came the next day. He wanted to meet with me local, but I had no car and told him that I would try to see what I could do...I asked him he could meet me the next day, he said no....

HR called the same day and we discussed everything & they said that they would like to try to get me scheduled for the next available training, so everything seemed ok...

The my manager called at 5pm and left a message, stating that he was rescinding the offer with no explanation.....

I am in shock!! I am going to call HR today to discuss....I guess they have the right to rescind, correct?? I just can't believe that a company would rescind because I had an accident that was not my fault & unforseeable.....

As an added bonus, I had contracted with a local daycare & not sure that I can even get out of it, plus I sold my car, as I was getting a co car.....now I am left with nothing....but a headache...

I really wanted this position, I did everything they asked me to do, I just can't believe that a company would treat someone like this..

Thanks for any advice
**A: thank you for your story. Are you looking for another job?

seniorjudge

...I just can't believe that a company would treat someone like this....

You need to do more research on human nature.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I assume you want to know what kind of legal recourse you have.

Whether you have any recourse or not depends on the reason for the job being rescinded. If it's because of the accident, you may or may not have recourse. If it's because they suddenly lost a major account and are laying off employees, you most likely don't.

Discuss it with a local attorney.

Betty

I agree that depending on the reason the job offer was rescinded you might have some recourse. It seems you sold your car (expecting a co. car) & contracted with daycare all due to the expected job.

Contact an attorney as suggested.

Last edited:

boston007

Human Nature?

"You need to do more research on human nature"

What's that suppose to mean?? If you mean that companies just don't give a crap about their employees, yes I know....but I'm still upset.

Anyway, I did speak with HR and they would give no explanation, she sounded truly as puzzled as myself. She told me that she would get back to me, but never did. I received a letter in the mail, only stating that the offer had been recinding, no explanation.

I left her several messages, stating that it would be nice to get an explanation, but my calls go unanswered....this is a large corporation and not a case of layoffs or anything, in fact the company continues to grow.
I haven't had an accident in 20yrs and it had to happen now!!

Apparently, they feel no need to provide an explanation, which still amazes me...legally they may not have to, but etically you think they would in good faith.....just pisses me off.

I can't even see where it would be worth pursuing this any further, with an attorney and all. The cost of an attorney verses whatever crap they chose to say, don't seem to be in my best interest....?

No, I haven't started looking for another job. Luckily, we are in a good place - financially & I have a young one at home, so no rush. I chose this job carefully, so I thought, and it will be hard to find another position similar....Thanks

VeronicaLodge

just think though, if you had gotten this job and nothing like this happened, the company would still be the same kind of company and would likely treat you badly somewhere down the line, now you dont have to find out after 10 years of working for them. find a decent employer :) good luck.

oh and thanks for posting an update

BoredAtty

Thanks for any advice
I'm definitely on your side, as it sounds like crappy behavior by the would-be manager.

That said, assuming you weren't injured, why didn't you make it to training on the next flight? Why didn't you meet with the would-be manager in person (take a cab or bus if necessary)? The fact that you did neither sounds kind of odd to me given it would be your first day on the job, so it may have seemed odd to your would-be manager as well. Maybe he thought you would turn out to be a problem employee, and when he saw his "out," he took it. Bosses like problem solvers, not problem creators.

Good luck in finding a new job. I agree with VeronicaLodge. You're probably better off not working for that guy.

Dandy Don

You neglected to mention if you suffered any injuries in the car accident and whether you mentioned your injuries to the HR person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">