• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Offer Rescinded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klassact

What is the name of your state? VA

I received an offer of employment on Dec 6th with a start date of January 2nd. I accepted the offer verbally and then signed and sent in the letter of acceptance to the company. I had set up an appointment to go into the office to sign some paperwork and go for a drug test on Friday, Dec 21st. My children's Christmas pageant was rescheduled and I called HR to ask if I could reschedule my appointment so that I could attend the pageant. He agreed and we rescheduled on the 27th. HR thought I was supposed to be in on the 26th and as a result the hirining manager called and rescinded my offer. On Dec 6th I was fortunate enough to be able to entertain 2 offers. I took this job and declined another now to end up with no job. I have signed a contract with daycare beginning Wed the 2nd and have no job. The hiring manager who I spoke to this morning told me that he was rescinding the offer because he needed to have faith in my position and he was concerned about my commute time (I live about 45 minutes away). Do I have any legal recourse?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sure - you can find another job.
You have no recourse against the company that did not hire you. (based solely on your post)

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? VA

I received an offer of employment on Dec 6th with a start date of January 2nd. I accepted the offer verbally and then signed and sent in the letter of acceptance to the company. I had set up an appointment to go into the office to sign some paperwork and go for a drug test on Friday, Dec 21st. My children's Christmas pageant was rescheduled and I called HR to ask if I could reschedule my appointment so that I could attend the pageant. He agreed and we rescheduled on the 27th. HR thought I was supposed to be in on the 26th and as a result the hirining manager called and rescinded my offer. On Dec 6th I was fortunate enough to be able to entertain 2 offers. I took this job and declined another now to end up with no job. I have signed a contract with daycare beginning Wed the 2nd and have no job. The hiring manager who I spoke to this morning told me that he was rescinding the offer because he needed to have faith in my position and he was concerned about my commute time (I live about 45 minutes away). Do I have any legal recourse?

**A: the answer is no.

klassact

Zigner,

I would prefer that you did not respond to my posts again. There is no need to be rude to someone asking a question. I'm sure it is obvious to everyone that I will get another job....I wasn't asking for advice on that.

Thank you

CourtClerk

Zigner,

I would prefer that you did not respond to my posts again. There is no need to be rude to someone asking a question. I'm sure it is obvious to everyone that I will get another job....I wasn't asking for advice on that.

Thank you
If you'd like to pick and choose who responds to your questions, you may want to look into the PM feature and use it or hire an attorney. Otherwise, this is a public board and anyone and everyone is free to post where ever they'd like.

You're welcome

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zigner,

Thank you
Amazing...
You asked what your recourse was. I was not being rude or flip. I was merely stating the course of action that is available.
I'm sorry my answer wasn't longer...but I am AT WORK right now.

klassact

I appreciate your clarification and thank you for the advice. Your response came across as sarcastic and I am new to the forum so once again thank you for your clarification.

CourtClerk

Wow, sarcasm is alive and well on this board. What's wrong with you people?
I'm sorry if you misconstrued my response as being sarcastic. That was not my intention. I was dead serious in the fact that anyone can answer anywhere here they darn well please and you as a newbie might want to recognize that... or start PM'ing your questions to those who you want to hear from.

mitousmom

My children's Christmas pageant was rescheduled and I called HR to ask if I could reschedule my appointment so that I could attend the pageant. He agreed and we rescheduled on the 27th. HR thought I was supposed to be in on the 26th and as a result the hirining manager called and rescinded my offer.
Who was the HR with whom you rescheduled your appointment and who is the HR that thought you were supposed to come in on the 26th? Why the 26th? I thought your original appointment was for the 21st? Was the hiring official aware that you had rescheduled your appointment when he rescinded the job offer? Was your home address on the application materials that you submittted? Did you tell HR specifically that you needed to reschedule because of your children's pageant? Did you explain why you thought the pageant was more important than completing the application process?

ecmst12

Look, do you REALLY want to work for a company that would retract a job offer just because of a simple misunderstanding? Is that really the kind of environment you want to work in?

VeronicaLodge

Who was the HR with whom you rescheduled your appointment and who is the HR that thought you were supposed to come in on the 26th? Why the 26th? I thought your original appointment was for the 21st? Was the hiring official aware that you had rescheduled your appointment when he rescinded the job offer? Was your home address on the application materials that you submittted? Did you tell HR specifically that you needed to reschedule because of your children's pageant? Did you explain why you thought the pageant was more important than completing the application process?
what does any of this matter? they are still allowed to rescind the offer if they want to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">