• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

job offer rescined after notice was given..please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ekaufold

What is the name of your state? new york

My fiance recently was offered a job in the finanace department of a fortune 500 company. After giving notice to her current employer and retaining a commitment from this other company the said company came back and rescinded the offer five days after the fact.
Hence, my fiance is trying to withdraw her resignation from the company that she works for due to the fact that she will no longer have a position, and will be out of work as a result.
The company in question indicated that there was some kind of internal issue that would prevent them from hiring her.
Now I know you are going to ask if it came down to qualifications, bad references, a negative backround check, but none of these conditions apply.
My question is: Is it legal for a company in new york state to make a verbal contract with a individual and indicate to said individual that they are being hired for the position, request that this individual submit notice to their current employer, and then come back a week later and rescind the offer after they have agreed to hire that individual leaving them unemployed?
My next question would be what legal recourse does she have?
My third question would be if she has no recourse at all whom should I approach to attempt to have the employment laws changed so this can not happen to other's in the future?
Any advice and or offer for legal services on a contigent basis are appreciated and welcome.
Thank you and have a nice day.
ed

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">