• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job offer revoked for unfair reasons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samp615

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was suppose to start work tomorrow at AirBnb at 8 am and just received a call (13 hours before starting)from Airbnb saying I know longer have a job. Last week they asked if I could start on August 13th. I told them I couldn't because I was a witness in a court case. I was the defendant of the case, but I had to show up in order to get the charges dropped. Then they called me and told me that they saw it was my case where I was a witness. They said the case or outcome was not the factor but that I "misrepresented" where I was going to be that day. I have moved all the way out to San Fran from Nashville, got an apartment, and they call me 13 hours before work to say that I do not have a job. Leading up to this they made it seem like I was still on for my start day. I am upset because what I said was true. Although I didn't give the entire situation, I said what I said because I thought it'd be inappropriate to do so in an email, especially considering the charges were dropped. The company never asked where I was going to be that day, but I offered, which makes me baffled that there was any misrepresentation. The woman on the phone admitted the reason was true, but not the whole truth.

Is there anything that can be done with this situation? I am devastated and this seems very unethical and unlawful.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was suppose to start work tomorrow at AirBnb at 8 am and just received a call (13 hours before starting)from Airbnb saying I know longer have a job. Last week they asked if I could start on August 13th. I told them I couldn't because I was a witness in a court case. I was the defendant of the case, but I had to show up in order to get the charges dropped. Then they called me and told me that they saw it was my case where I was a witness. They said the case or outcome was not the factor but that I "misrepresented" where I was going to be that day. I have moved all the way out to San Fran from Nashville, got an apartment, and they call me 13 hours before work to say that I do not have a job. Leading up to this they made it seem like I was still on for my start day. I am upset because what I said was true. Although I didn't give the entire situation, I said what I said because I thought it'd be inappropriate to do so in an email, especially considering the charges were dropped. The company never asked where I was going to be that day, but I offered, which makes me baffled that there was any misrepresentation. The woman on the phone admitted the reason was true, but not the whole truth.

Is there anything that can be done with this situation? I am devastated and this seems very unethical and unlawful.
Sounds to me like the problem was that the case involved pending CRIMINAL charges against you. While an employer might not care as much about an employee who is asked to be a witness in someone else's case, they most certainly could care about potential criminal charges being prosecuted against that same employee.

You did, indeed, misrepresent the facts and failed to disclose that one little critical detail about having been arrested and charged with a crime. That's what probably got you booted.

samp615

Sounds to me like the problem was that the case involved pending CRIMINAL charges against you. While an employer might not care as much about an employee who is asked to be a witness in someone else's case, they most certainly could care about potential criminal charges being prosecuted against that same employee.

You did, indeed, misrepresent the facts and failed to disclose that one little critical detail about having been arrested and charged with a crime. That's what probably got you booted.

I did not lie. I said I was a witness. I was a witness. They said they terminated because of the court case misrepresentation, not the criminal charges, which have already been dropped.

This is like an employee saying they are going to the doctor, instead of saying I have to get a colonoscopy. Yes, it isn't the whole truth, but I didnt know the whole situation was even needed.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So it's not unethical for you to be deliberately misleading about your role in the case, but it is for them to fire you when you get caught.

I see.

Unfortunately for you, "fair" and "ethical" are in the eye of the beholder, so the law does not require that you agree that it is either one. It is, however, legal, which is all you need concern yourself about.

Is there anything that can be done? Yes, there is. You have every right in the world to start looking for another job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">