• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

job offered, then given to someone else

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nlhudson22

south carolina -- i am a recent college grad who applied for a teaching vacancy at the high school i attended. i had an interview with the personnel director, and with the principal on the following day. they both were pleased, and after speaking with the principal the personnel director began to guide me through all of things that i needed to do for the certification process for critical needs teachers, including applying for certification with the state department, fbi fingerprinting, taking the praxis (test for certification), and keeping in contact with both the district office and the state department of education. i received my confirmation of employment last week, a copy of which was also sent to the state department. i called the personnel director today to update her on my progress, and she informed me that the new principal at the high school is changing things around and wants to have more experienced teachers due to low test scores and the high number of critical needs teachers already in place. she also informed me that in essence, the job that was offered to me was given to someone else. she said that "all is not lost," and that she would put in a good word for me if any other jobs happen to become available. i did everything that i was asked to do for this job, and received confirmation in writing, although i have not received an actual contract. i have spent almost $200 in this process because i was given the impression that i would have a job. my job was given away, and at this point in time it seems that instead of starting the job i was promised in august, i will be unemployed. is there anything i can do? i am reluctant to actually sue the school district, but this seems to be a case of breach of contract, not to mention being ethically questionable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">