• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job reassignment reqiring tools, training, ect.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bwabk

I am from ohio. I currently work in a non union factory as a technician. The company is looking to change the name and job requirements. Im mainly concerned with the fact that it would force me into getting a tow motors lisence which i am not comfortable with. It will also require some additional. My 2nd biggest concern is the tools i would then have to buy that i do not currently need. I have spoken with my boss about my concerns as well as HR reps. All politely telling me i have no choice. I fear that this can be forced on me as such i will certainly find another employer wanting someone with more my skill set.

commentator

The company is perfectly free to change your job description and situation, especially if they are not dramatically changing your salary and the requirements of the job, and it is considered a part of their employment planning in the best interests of the company. If there is a dramatic change in your salary (such as a cut to half wages) or a dramatic shift in the type of job performed (such as toolmaker to janitor) and it is not being done to everyone or a large group of your co workers, just to you, it may be a clear effort to force you out, and as such, you should quit the job before working at the new job assignment and file for unemployment insurance benefits while looking for a new job. If it is just something you don't want to do, such as getting a tow motor license, buying a few new tools, but it is about the same pay and in the same work field, you probably should keep working there until you can actually find something else that you like better.

bwabk

The company is perfectly free to change your job description and situation, especially if they are not dramatically changing your salary and the requirements of the job, and it is considered a part of their employment planning in the best interests of the company. If there is a dramatic change in your salary (such as a cut to half wages) or a dramatic shift in the type of job performed (such as toolmaker to janitor) and it is not being done to everyone or a large group of your co workers, just to you, it may be a clear effort to force you out, and as such, you should quit the job before working at the new job assignment and file for unemployment insurance benefits while looking for a new job. If it is just something you don't want to do, such as getting a tow motor license, buying a few new tools, but it is about the same pay and in the same work field, you probably should keep working there until you can actually find something else that you like better.
I have secondary income and am young and motivated. Getting the new job worries me very little. I just like what im doing now. Given what i know now i may even try the job out but will most likely quit.

I honestly just dont like driving tow motors in the tight areas we are in. I understand what i like doesnt matter but i didnt know if the need for a lisence mattered(for instance you dont ask a school teacher to drive a semi).

Also we are not talking about a few tools. I would be going from a handful of brass tools, flash light, wrenches, ect. to a whole slew of new tools like ohm meter, torque wrenches, and MUCH LARGER wrenches. All adding up i would need a larger tool box to even hold the tools. Several hundred dollars in total depending on my choice of tools. All to do a job that people were already getting paid to do(these people were recently let go).

Im technically un-educated and as such I know I cant possibly sit well with the company as im the only one in my current positioin without a degree, and im also the youngest currently doing the job. I feel this probably puts me at a dis advantage.

Thanks again to both of you. I feel im at a better understanding of my situation than i was previously in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">