• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job termination and wage garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

finngirl

state: georgia

if i have a wage garnishment in effect against me for a defaulted student loan, and am fired from my job, how is the garnishment then handled? does the debtor have rights to my final payout for untaken vacation and leave time, and/or the payout for my retirement contributions? if so, is it limited to the 10% garnishment standard applied to a regular paycheck? what rights does the debtor have to my unemployment benefits?

A

Attorney_Replogle

I am presuming that GA law will allow the garnishment to take the same percentage out of your final paycheck as it did for all previous paychecks. The garnishment will not be effective against the unemployment benefits simply because the garnishment order was only in regards to the employer. It has no legal significance or effect against a state agency that doles out unemployment compensation. Can the creditor get a wage garnishment order against the unemployment agency? Possible, but I am not sure in your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">