• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

job title changed to meet an applicant's (lack of) qualifications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abcteacher

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Louisiana

After seeing an advertisement for an Assistant Principal at my private, Catholic elementary school, I decided to apply for it. Several other teachers were interested in the position, but were told by the principal that they must have a master's degree. I have a master's degree and work at the school.

There were five applicants for the job. Four of the applicants had a master's degree and one applicant did not. GUESS WHO GOT THE JOB? That's right - - the one applicant without the master's degree.

The principal changed the job's title to "Administrative Assistant" so that she could hire the person without the master's degree. I spoke to the principal and told her that I was going to speak to the school board about this matter. The next day, at the beginning of the school board meeting, the principal resigned.

The "Administrative Assistant" is currently working at school. Even though the school board and the pastor heard about what happened.

The school has an interim principal while the search committee finds a suitable principal.

Can a job title be changed to suit a person's (lack of) qualifications?
Since the principal resigned, what should I do?
Should I contact the EEOC, Fair Employment Committee, or an attorney?
Please help!

Beth3

Can a job title be changed to suit a person's (lack of) qualifications? Yes.

Since the principal resigned, what should I do? Apply for the principals job?

Should I contact the EEOC, Fair Employment Committee, or an attorney? None of the above. There's nothing illegal about what the princpal did nor does it constitute prohibited discrimination. The School Board may take issue with the principal's decision but that's a matter of policy, not the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">