• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joining the Client - Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vibgyor

What is the name of your state? IL

I hope someone can answer this.
Both of us (myself and the spouse) work for the same employer from IL and providing consulting services for a client in a different state. Neither of us signed a contract with them. Can one of us take up a job with the client ? If my company sues, does it have any strong case against us ? My fellow employee says, one can not take up a job for 3 yrs with the client according to our company policy. I never seen that kind of policy in written in my company material (there is very little). We were told by the client there is no such clause with their contract either.

thanks in advance

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If what you are asking is, does the law say there is any specific time frame in which you can/cannot go to work for the client, the answer is no, there is not. It's entirely up to any contracts or policies the consultant and the client have. So if there are no contracts, there's no problem.

On the other hand (and I'm not saying this WILL happen, only that it CAN) if the consultant threatens to withdraw from the client over this and the client decides to rescind any offers that may have been made to you, that's legal too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">