• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Artfemme

I am a teacher in a public school system in PA. I belong to the PSEA and the local. I was demoted to part-time due to "curriculum" changes. The district changed one of my required courses to an elective and capped it at 30 students. They then claimed there was decreased enrollment, although I have signatures of 96 students who signed up for the course. I feel this action by the district does not constitute "just cause." The union has been of no help in this matter. Do I have a case? Thank you.

L

loku

I assume by “just cause” you mean “just cause” to demote you to part-time because of “curriculum” changes. If it was within their authority to change the course to an elective and to cap it at 30 students, and if in spite of having 96 students sign up for the course, the result is a decrease in enrollment, which would justify the demotion to part-time status, then the demotion is not a violation. However, you can see that the interpretation of all this depends on th rules of the school system itself.

So I suggest you get a copy of the rules and find out if, according to their rules, they were within their rights as described above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">