• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just Cause/No grounds for termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OutOfWork

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I was downsized, laid-off, let go, furloughed or whatever you want to call it a month ago. I have already been down the non-compete route but have another question for the gurus. Is an employer required to give a reason for a termination of employment? I was told my release was due to a poor market and "tough economic times." Thus I believed my release was amicable. However, when I asked about a release from my non-compete I was told that I was released for just cause. When I asked exactly what that cause was they were unable to do so. They paid me a month's severance, my outstanding vacation and offered to serve as a reference should I need one. Now they tell me they released me for just cause? What could that possibly be and how do I get past that? I fear that now that I have approached them about the non-compete they want to make things hard on me and cause me issues. I have lost two offers already due to the non-compete and now I'm worried that the company may give me a bad reference despite saying the contrary. What are my options?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The employer is not required to give you a reason for the termination.

It is common to release an employee from a non-compete if the termination is involuntary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">