• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jayceey

What is the name of your state? MI.

I was just fired for misconduct. I have been with the company for 7 years and have had an excellent history with them except for an incident that lead to my termination.

My boss, whom I have worked for 3 years, said that I could use him as a reference for future job interviews, and he had nothing to do with the firing. He said that it was ok to have them call his cell phone. Is this legal or does a prospective employer have to go through the HR department first? My boss would be my best reference and I would like to use him.

Also, can the prospective employer find out why I was fired?

Beth3

An employer can call anyone they want to for a reference - your former boss(es) directly, Human Resources, your neighbors, co-workers, etc.

Also, can the prospective employer find out why I was fired? Sure. All they have to do is ask your boss, someone in HR, or anyone else you worked with who might know the circumstances.

If you're wondering whether you can lie on an application form or in an interview about why you left your last job and not be found out, I sure wouldn't advise it. There are all sorts of ways an employer can find out the real scoop on the circumstances surrounding someone's departure from a company. If they find out during the recruiting process you lied, they'll rule you out of further consideration. If they find out after they hire you, they'll terminate your employment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Also, can the prospective employer find out why I was fired?

Are you perhaps referring to the widespread but totally erroneous belief that an employer may only verify dates of employment, salary and job title?

If so, this belief is totally unfounded in law. An employer may give any information they choose on a former employee as long as that information is true or represents their honest opinion. It is perfectly legal for them to release the reason you were fired. In fact, there are some circumstances in which they could be held liable for NOT releasing the reason you were fired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">