• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just fired and now my boss is making up theft reasons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justfired

I worked at a bar and restaurant, I became a manager close to a year ago. Well I just got fired, I then was demoted because I was told I said I had another job, which was a lie. After a week working even though I was demoted. They called and said not to come into work. It's been a couple days and I go to pick up my check and the boss says that he has irrefutable evidence that I stole. That beer was missing as if I was giving it away for free, and thousands of dollars were missing. I didn't do any of these things, and I believe he is just going through the computer system and checking his records to make up things. I recently found out something very personal about my boss, and think this is his way of getting back at me, or to make me keep my mouth shut.

Isis1

I worked at a bar and restaurant, I became a manager close to a year ago. Well I just got fired, I then was demoted because I was told I said I had another job, which was a lie. After a week working even though I was demoted. They called and said not to come into work. It's been a couple days and I go to pick up my check and the boss says that he has irrefutable evidence that I stole. That beer was missing as if I was giving it away for free, and thousands of dollars were missing. I didn't do any of these things, and I believe he is just going through the computer system and checking his records to make up things. I recently found out something very personal about my boss, and think this is his way of getting back at me, or to make me keep my mouth shut.
US Law only.

jsmith416

He would have to have proof you stole in order to disqualify you from unemployment benefits if you would otherwise be eligible. Other than that there is not much you can do.

justfired

He said that he was gathering evidence and giving it to his lawyer, to decide if it's enough to prosecute. The only evidence he could have would be inventory related, which he could edit. Nothing is entered in the computer besides the beers I sold, food, and discounts. Which could also be changed. I need to know if I should be worried that he could make it look like I stole, and if so is that even enough evidence to be charged on.

commentator

Why don't you file for your unemployment insurance and this will cause them to have to let you draw unemployment without contest or show what proof they have of your theft. If they have pretty good proof, you wouldn't be approved, but if they don't, you'd certainly benefit from knowing that, and from drawing. There's nothing for you to lose in the process. The unemployment office wouldn't press charges against you or anything.

If the employer has enough evidence to prosecute you criminally, it'd have to be pretty good evidence. You should know already if this is the case. But they may simply be trying to get you to go away scared and not file for unemployment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">