• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just inquiring.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fotodude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

North Carolina

Hi,

I was recently let go by my employer. Their reasoning was that I was taking company property.

Basically I worked for an optical shop making prescription lenses. Some of these lenses would be sunglasses. At the shop I worked at, we sold a particular brand that the demos that were in the frames were of good quality and there was a market for them on ebay. Our company policy was that we held all demo's for 90 days, the length of which was our return policy. At the end of the 90 days, the lenses would be thrown away. I would then after the 90 days, proceed to sell them and use a good portion of the money earned back into the store. I would buy lunches, snacks, ice cream, pizza, etc.

So that's it in a nutshell, so I was wondering since for one the lenses technically were not property of the company because once the frame is purchased. The lenses are then property of the person getting the prescription in them. Might I add, if the customer requested the demo lenses, they would receive them. Secondly, I waited the 90 days to which the items were no longer required to remain in the store.

Thanks for any feedback.

CSO286

North Carolina

Hi,

I was recently let go by my employer. Their reasoning was that I was taking company property.

Basically I worked for an optical shop making prescription lenses. Some of these lenses would be sunglasses. At the shop I worked at, we sold a particular brand that the demos that were in the frames were of good quality and there was a market for them on ebay. Our company policy was that we held all demo's for 90 days, the length of which was our return policy. At the end of the 90 days, the lenses would be thrown away. I would then after the 90 days, proceed to sell them and use a good portion of the money earned back into the store. I would buy lunches, snacks, ice cream, pizza, etc.

So that's it in a nutshell, so I was wondering since for one the lenses technically were not property of the company because once the frame is purchased. The lenses are then property of the person getting the prescription in them. Might I add, if the customer requested the demo lenses, they would receive them. Secondly, I waited the 90 days to which the items were no longer required to remain in the store.

Thanks for any feedback.

What's your question????

csi7

No. They were not wrong. However, you can apply for unemployment benefits, and possibly be eligible for benefits.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A "wrongful termination" means that the employer violated the law by firing you. What law do you think exists that would prohibit them from firing you for selling property that does not belong to you?

Beth3

North Carolina

Hi,

Thanks for any feedback.
You took items that did not belong to you and sold them to your benefit. That's pretty much the classic definition of theft. No, your employer did not act wrongly in terminating your employment. :rolleyes:

Antigone*

You took items that did not belong to you and sold them to your benefit. That's pretty much the classic definition of theft. No, your employer did not act wrongly in terminating your employment. :rolleyes:
Beth, please don't forget that he/she purchased snacks and lunches, ice cream and pizza for everyone:rolleyes: It was a Robin Hood kinda thang...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">