• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just not right**************..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kfourgo

What is the name of your state? California

I was employed at this firm for 6+ years and was laid off. One of three partners was selected to give me the bad news. He began by saying "taking a 3 week vacation to France was your demise"..... Yes, I did take vacation to France to visit family and friends; yes, I am alloted 3 weeks; I only took 2 1/2 weeks. I am 51, female and have been in this industry for 20+ years and was receiving a decent salary. When I went on vacation, they discovered they could get someone for 1/2 my salary (this is what I was told). Now they want me to sign a severance agreement, basically saying I will not sue them and I will NEVER apply for a job there again, in order to receive 1 month severance pay. There are a lot of things that led up to this and their reason for termination is totally bogus. Obviously, there is a lot more here than I can even go into, but basically, what are my rights?

K

justalayman

This reminds me of the old joke where two guys are talking to each other.

One guy says, " boy I wish I could take a vacation"

and the other guy says, " why can't you take vacation, do you the think the comapany can't operate without you?"

the first guy then says, " No, I know they can do without me, I just don't want THEM to realize that"

hang on for more informative posts.

Beth3

kfourgo said:
What is the name of your state? California

I was employed at this firm for 6+ years and was laid off. One of three partners was selected to give me the bad news. He began by saying "taking a 3 week vacation to France was your demise"..... Yes, I did take vacation to France to visit family and friends; yes, I am alloted 3 weeks; I only took 2 1/2 weeks. I am 51, female and have been in this industry for 20+ years and was receiving a decent salary. When I went on vacation, they discovered they could get someone for 1/2 my salary (this is what I was told). Now they want me to sign a severance agreement, basically saying I will not sue them and I will NEVER apply for a job there again, in order to receive 1 month severance pay. There are a lot of things that led up to this and their reason for termination is totally bogus. Obviously, there is a lot more here than I can even go into, but basically, what are my rights?

K
You have the right to decide whether or not to sign the waiver and accept the severance offer. That's it. Terminating you because you took vacation is not illegal, nor is terminating you because they found they could do without you illegal, nor is terminating you because they found someone to do your job for 1/2 the cost. I'm not saying you didn't get a raw deal - just that nothing illegal transpired.

I don't see that you have any basis to sue so you may as well take the severance.

Gadfly

Yep. Happens all the time. Not against the law, just an unhappy situation.

Don't ever think that you are so good at what you do that you can't be replaced. Companies are always looking for ways to save money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">