• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just wanted my paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigboygill

What is the name of your state? Texas
I worked for a small construction company (about 20 employees) and I live about 60 miles from our office. Myself and 1 other guy work out of our homes since it's so far to drive to our office, and all the work we do is close to our homes, this is at the company's blessing. Well, for a long time now our office can't seem to get our paychecks to us on payday, or at least on a regular basis. We are paid every week on Friday, and our paychecks some times shows up and some times they don't show up till Monday and so on. The rest of the companys employees are given their checks on Friday, but ours are mailed regular first class. I have always been vocal about this and how unfair this is. My employer started having them Fed-exed a couple of monthes ago, and that worked as long as they were taken to Fed-ex on Thursday, which didn't always happen We are back to the mail again, and again they didn't show up as promissed. I called my boss on Friday and complained to him again about the problem, and this time he said since I can't get along with him on this issue then I need to find another job. So he fires me because I want my paycheck on Fridays like everyone else in the company gets. This is so unfair, and I have tried to work with them on this but he doesn't really care when we get paid, it's put up or shut up. Can he do this? Thanks in advance.

pattytx

Did the employer offer direct deposit? In lieu of driving in to pick up your check, did you offer to pay for the FedEx or USPS Priority Mail?

Actually, U.S. mail is "whenever it gets there". If it were me, I would have driven the 120 miles round trip to get my check if it were that unreliable.
Normally, if the check is available to you on payday, if you live that close, if you choose not to pick your check up personally and it were mailed in time to reach you under normal circumstances, you can't complain about it being late, because you had an option to go get it.

You can contact the Texas Workforce Commission to see if you have any recourse against the employer for firing you because you complained about the timing of your paycheck, but I seriously doubt it.

bigboygill

According to the texas labor code, which I just found, the employer has to get my paycheck to me on the companies stated payday. They have a few different ways they can do it including mailling it, but they must send it registered mail, and it must get to me by payday.
To answer your question about direct deposit, no they don't offer it.

pattytx

bigboy, did you call the Texas Workforce Commission to inquire? They have to make it available to you on payday. Do you have a link to the Texas Payday Laws you can post? Anyway, good luck. Do you have your check yet?

bigboygill

No I haven't contacted the Texas workforce yet, this happened at the end of the day on Friday, but you can bet I will come Monday morning. No I still haven't got my check yet, it probably won't get here till Monday. Here is the link to the labor codes.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/la.toc.htm
Does anyone know what the workforce can or will do about this? Is there anything else I can do other then tell on them?

pattytx

I know where the Texas Labor Laws are. I just got something in the mail upon my request that certified mail is but one of the options in delivering paychecks. However, the employer would have to agree. I have no idea what they are going to tell you.

However, if you needed the check that badly and couldn't wait, why didn't you just drive in to the office on payday and pick it up? 2-hour round trip isn't that bad. You never answered this question I asked you the first time.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">