• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

just wondering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hnpayne

mississippiWhat is the name of your state?

I was hired by a check cashing/loaning company at the beginning of the year. I have previous experience before this with another company. When the new company hired me the manager had just got promoted 3wks prior, from assistant csr to manager. This person had only been there about 8 mths at this time with no prior experience in niether this industry or management. The company makes every new employee sign a form stating that they have read the company's manuls of all the rules and regulations of both the company and the state.Whatever you do, every little move that is made, is monitored. No matter how you are trained wheather or not your manager or supervisor tells you something wrong. Their motto is,"Wheather or not you were told wrong doesn't matter. What matters is how the manual tells you to do it." I believe the manager used me and my experience to clean her store up and then her plan was to boot me out. Which is what she did. What I am trying to get at is that since about the third month I was employed there she has done her best to be just as petty as possible. Finding anything she could to tattle tell to her boss and/or write me up for. After three write up's you are fired, of course. Twice that I was wrote up, I done something the way my manager taught me, which of course was not the way the manual stated to do it. I complained but it done no good they still wrote me up, no warning or nothing. O.k. another time the write up had two different things on it one of which I did a void of contract the incorrect way and the other thing was 12 checks that I took on customer's that wasn't exactly right. Excuse me 12 checks that I was accused of taking that were not exactly right. I wasn't present on this day that the audit was being done. When the regional manger found the incorrect checks he copied them and told my manager to look over them and write the name of which employee in the office myself or her, took the incorrect checks. She looked at them and wrote my name beside 12 out of the 13 that were taken. The maximum incorrect checks that an employee can be written up for is six. So needless to say I arrived the next day with a write-up for me to sign that involved the six checks and the incorrect void. I looked over the checks that I was acussed of taking and looked in each person's file only to find that the manager had lied. Seven of the incorrect checks were hers and six were mine. Needless to say I was furious and I asked her why she had lied and if I was getting wrote up for the six checks after only being there for a short period of time. Then why was she not going to get the same write up about the seven checks she took incorrectly and why did she not tell the regional manger that wrote me up which is her boss that seven of the checks were hers. She didn't really have an answer and the regional manger never found out. So I was fausely accused of something I didn't do. Also, it says in the MANUAL thatconsistency is the key. If you punish one employee for a wrongful act, and later on another employee comits that same act, that employee no matter how high or low they are in the company must receive the same punishment. Also, the first 3 or 4 mts that I was hired the manger called me on every day that I was off for any little thing she could think of unless it was Sunday. She wouldn't call just once she would call 3 or 4 x's. It wouldn't ever be about anything just what are you doing I just wanted to tell you so and so come in and paid today. She has even called up until 9:00 at night and this was on an occasion when I had a bad virus. I couldn't even rest because of the phione calls. Is that not harrasement? Also, remember when I got wrote up for the incorrect void? Last month she had an incorrect void found on the audit. They did not erite her up. She smokes right outside of the door. The MANUAL plainly states that it is prohibited to smoke inside the office or anywhere on the premises. What it amounts to is that she has done countless number of things that have been prohibited by the MANUAL that I can prove in which she hasn't been wrote up for. But that is the basis for all of mine. She is the manager and has een there alot longer than I have, she is definitly supposed to know the do's and dont's of the MANUAL. If they would have written her up as many x's as should've been, she would have been gone a long time before me. Also the my last day there she was on the phone with the regional manger and he told her to go into my purse, my personal belongings. On the count that she was accusing me of having copies of all kinds of stuff in my purse. She came over and stuck her hand in my purse and snatched something of mine out and I snatched them right back. He then stated for her to try again. In which she didn't succeed. Is that not also illegal for him to instruct her to go into my personal property and on her part for actually doing it?Taht incident was done infront of customers as witnesses. Is any of this cause for a suit of any kind? I have written documentation on alot more things that can be proven by simply looking back on the paperwork and computer and talking to the customers.

Sockeye

Wow! :eek:

Quite a list, but nothing that violates any employment law. Bad managers are unfortunate to work with, but not illegal.

If she's that bad, she will be out the door pretty quick.

hnpayne

question

What about harrasement over the phone calls? Is there not any law besides the employment law that says any wrong doing on her and her boss on the deal about my purse or personal belongings. Also, was the regional manager not discriminating against me in a way, when he wrote me up all those x's over doing things that are not exactly in the manual? Then when she done the same thing as me she got nothing. Especialy, when it states in the MANUAL that the punishment for one should be the same for all? Help me out here. If not what does harrasment actually mean when it comes down to a situation like this? Can I not get some pain and suffering or something? There is no way it can be legal to hire somebody, tell them to do something the way you want it done, when it was actually supposed to be done another way. Write them up for this, without a warning or anything,because all employees are supposed to go by the company manual or handbook. Then not write another employee up for the same thing, when that same handbook or manual says that it is against company policy not to . I don't understand that. I do understand that they didn't violate the emploment law itself. However, there has got to be some kind of justice for a situation like this. Either the write up's as discrmination because I am the csr and she is the manager. Although, I have alot more experience in this field than she does. The purse episode, were they not violating my privacy in some way? What about harrasement over all the phone calls that were made to my home and cell phone, even up until 9:00 at night. I can get detailed phone records to prove this.If not why do have laws to protect us to start with.

mlane58

Sockeye is correct. There is nothing, nada, zip in your long post that suggests that any employment laws were violated.

Employee handbooks aren't worth the paper they are written on for any legal standing.

Unfortunate that Bosses can be "A" holes, but not illegal

Beth3

What about harrasement over the phone calls? The calls may have been annoying but they were not harassment.

Is there not any law besides the employment law that says any wrong doing on her and her boss on the deal about my purse or personal belongings. No.

Also, was the regional manager not discriminating against me in a way, when he wrote me up all those x's over doing things that are not exactly in the manual? Then when she done the same thing as me she got nothing. Especialy, when it states in the MANUAL that the punishment for one should be the same for all? The employer's manual has no force of law. No, it was not any form of prohibited discrimination to write you up for things and not write up the manager.

If not what does harrasment actually mean when it comes down to a situation like this? Harassment is only illegal if it is a form of prohibited discrimination; in other words, harassing an employee BECAUSE of his or her gender, race, religion, national origin, etc. What you describe is not harassment.

Can I not get some pain and suffering or something? No.

There is no way it can be legal to hire somebody, tell them to do something the way you want it done, when it was actually supposed to be done another way. Write them up for this, without a warning or anything,because all employees are supposed to go by the company manual or handbook. Then not write another employee up for the same thing, when that same handbook or manual says that it is against company policy not to . I don't understand that. I do understand that they didn't violate the emploment law itself. Then you understand that nothing your employer did, no matter how unfair, was illegal.

However, there has got to be some kind of justice for a situation like this. What goes around usually comes around but you simply have no legal basis to exact any vengance on this company.

Either the write up's as discrmination because I am the csr and she is the manager. Although, I have alot more experience in this field than she does. The purse episode, were they not violating my privacy in some way? Perhaps. That's something you will need to discuss with an attorney. It's a long-shot though.

What about harrasement over all the phone calls that were made to my home and cell phone, even up until 9:00 at night. I can get detailed phone records to prove this.If not why do have laws to protect us to start with. Calling you at home to ask work questions is NOT harassment, no matter how many times you are called and what time of day it is. You were always free not to pick up the phone, you know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">