• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

juvenile rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gar417

What is the name of your state? NC
Are juvenile employees held to same standards as adult employees and do all terminations for cause require criminal prosecution? If individuals terminated previously were not prosecuted for acts of theft can the employer be selective? My 16yo was questioned, arrested and taken into custody because of an admission of guilt to a management person. Were his rights violated by not having a parent or guardian present when questioned by management or the police?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are juvenile employees held to same standards as adult employees

Yes, there is no reason why they shouldn't be.

and do all terminations for cause require criminal prosecution?

No, since not all termination for cause are for criminal behavior.

If individuals terminated previously were not prosecuted for acts of theft can the employer be selective?

Yes. The amount of evidence they had may not have been the same, or the employer may simply have gotten fed up and decided to make an example of the next employee caught thieving.

My 16yo was questioned, arrested and taken into custody because of an admission of guilt to a management person. Were his rights violated by not having a parent or guardian present when questioned by management or the police?

THat is not an employment law question and needs to be asked in the Juvenile law or the Criminal law section. One or the other please, not both.

Beth3

My 16yo was questioned, arrested and taken into custody because of an admission of guilt to a management person. Were his rights violated by not having a parent or guardian present when questioned by management or the police? Your 16-year old is not entitled to have a parent or guardian present when being questioned by management. You are not a party to his employment relationship. Whether the police were required to wait to question him until a parent was present is another matter and something I can't answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">