• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kentucky-Fired for Felony that was listed on Application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hyde021

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
I live and work in KY. I work in the IT field for a major corporation. I was hired in November of 2007. Just about a week ago, I was called into the Human Resources office. I had missed work the previous 3 days, so my boss told me that was why they wanted to speak with me. Once I was in the office, I was told that the results of my background were back. They wanted more detailed info of how I got the felony. I told them. They told me to get proof that it could be exponged or I would be fired.
The felony was listed on my application. They knew about it when they hired me. Is it legal for them to fire me for something like this when nothing has changed since they hired me? And now, alot of people I work with know about my record now. I have not told anyone. I'm being passed over at work now, as well. What can I do. I got them proof that it could be exponged, but the judge still has to sign it.

CO19

Interesting why they waited 60 over days to procure a consumer report, as opposed to conducting the check prior to employment... why it is called a pre-employment background check.:rolleyes: I can tell you that if they used a third party in conducting your background check and use any portion of it in taking adverse action, make sure you get a copy of that background report, Summary of Your Rights, and Pre-Adverse Action Notice.

Is it legal for them to fire me for something like this when nothing has changed since they hired me? Not my area, so I'll defer to the HR experts....

Betty

Have you actually been fired? You indicated you would only be fired if you couldn't get proof that the felony could be expunged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">