• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kind of a long story before my question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cheleone

I live in Mn., as does my sister and brother-in-law. This question is for them. My sister is a stay at home mom, and my brother-in-law works full time, and then some. They have 3 children. All of which have disabilites that range from one being deaf, siezure disorders, diabetes, learning, and physical disabilites, behavioral problems that stem from these health problems, and more. My sister also had a brain tumor removed a couple years back, and takes SEVERAL different meds., some of which she can't drive after taking etc. My brother-in-law has to take several days off for doctors apts., and family emergancies. He is an excellent employee other than that. He is always more than willing to work extra to make up for time he's not there, they get large rush order upon occasion, and he ALWAYS works overtime to help with that. This last summer, he worked 3 10 hr shifts, and 1 24 hr shift in one week alone, etc. Before now, the company has never had a problem with him having to take the days off that he needed. Just recently some people started an uproar about joining a union. They voted, and union lost, however, after it lost, the company retaliated by making a bunch of new rules, one of which was you can't take any time off unless it is approved 2 weeks in advance. They recently HAD to go to a meeting about their children, and were given 24 hour notice. He called in and told them and when he returned, they told him he was written up, and the 2nd time was final warning, third he would be fired. That includes family emergencies. (including if he is there, and called away for one) I was told by a friend the he is covered under the disabilites act. Is this true? Can they fire him for family amergencies? ESPECIALLY since they knew his family situation when they hired him? How would he go about stopping them from firing him? Can he have that warning removed? ANY information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time, help, information, and advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">