• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

labor law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kgoodwinrdh

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I recently-last Thursday gave my employer my 2 week notice. The book keeper came up to me on the same day, handed me a sealed envelope and said "here is 2 weeks pay, because of the annomocity in the office this will be your last day, we did not take out or put in money for your 401K."
I recently opened the envelope and found a check for 29 hours, which was for the 4 days I had just worked. I have called the bookeeper and left a message for her with no return phone call as of this moment. But, I feel that I am entitled to the 80 hours of pay, as I stated I would work for the next 2 weeks. And, I don't feel I should be short changed from my 401k.

pattytx

Legally, you are not entitled to pay for any more than the time you actually worked.

Regarding your 401(k), the plan document should state the definition of the wages that are eligible for deduction calculation. Obviously, that would be regular pay. It may or may not be any other pay that might have been on your final check, that depends on the plan rules. When you question payroll or Human Resources about the lack of the 401(k) deduction, what do they say?

On the other hand, if it isn't a very large amount of money, and there is no company match on it, I'm not sure it would be worth pursuing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">