• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

labor law working through lunch allowed to leave early

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chloe9192

When I began my current job within the same agency I have worked for over the past 2 and 1/2 years, in our New Employee orientation they told us that if we worked through our lunch hour we were allowed to leave 1 hour early on that day. We were told this because we were not paid overtime. When I relocated to another section of the same agency my new boss told me that since it was part of our job to be out in the field with clients that it was virtually impossible to take a lunch hour and in that case we could leave l hour early on that day. Now all of a sudden she tells me that she does not like people leaving early. She said that she wants us to be on the job until 5:00pm everyday. She said this is so because of the fact that if a client is in a crisis and needs to get in touch with us we need to be there to answer this call. I have 2 other coworkers that are being put in the same position and I think this is unfair especially since we do not get paid for any overtime we put in. I work in the social services field and our clients can reach us 24/7 via pagers. So, I do not see why we should stay the extra hour at the end of the day if we can be reached by pager by my boss, coworkers and clients. It seems like she is trying to force us to work overtime without getting paid, am I right on this and what are my rights regarding this. It has been said by my coworkers that she panics when we leave early, have doctors apppointments, take vacation or etc. She seems to be afraid of losing her job if something goes wrong in our department, but I say so what if she is afraid she needs to be fair to her subordinates but she is not, all because she is insecure. She seems to respond better to subordinates that "brown nose" her, these people seem to get away with things that other employees can't. Tell me what to do. Also, I have a cowoker that tells me what to do as if he is the boss and seems to do so by telling me I am "pretty" Is this considered sexual harrassment? He is one of the people that brown noses the boss.

B

BeckerLegal

In California, your employer is clearly violating the law. Effective October 1, 2000, there is a penalty of one hour's pay for an employer's refusal to allow a meal or rest period.

Contact a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">