• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lack of payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

palmtreerd

What is the name of your state? Ma
I worked at a retail store during the holiday season (December) and still have not been payed for my work. I even filled out my paperwork numerous amounts of time because they "lost" the first copy. By law, is there a certain amount of time they are supposed to pay their employees? If I don't get paid soon, what else can I do to help this process?

Beth3

Mass. requires that final wages be paid no later than the next regular pay day after an employee leaves. Frankly, it sounds like this employer has no intention of paying you. How many times can you lose a W-4 and an I-9???

Contact MA's Department of Labor/wage and hour division and file a complaint. Or you can give this one last shot. Call the HR person or Store Manager and nicely tell them that if you don't have your paycheck by THIS FRIDAY, you will be contacting the Department of Labor to file a complaint. That ought to get 'em moving. :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Massachusetts, the Department of Labor is actually the Attorney General's Fair Labor Commission, or something close to that. The phone number is 1-617-727-3476. Don't be surprised when they answer the phone, "Attorney General's office...". You're in the right place.

Beth3

Okay - that's even better palmtreerd. Now you can tell the employer that if you don't receive your paycheck by this Friday, you'll be contacting the State's Attorney General's office. :eek:

That ought to scare the stuffing out of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">