• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

laid-off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tati

What is the name of your state? IL

I worked for a company that laids off all thier employees 3 months every year. When the jobs reopened I was asked to return to work I could not return because my mother in law had past away and my wife was having severe difficulties dealing with her loss. I called my employeer to ask for some time to deal with my wifes situation to take care of her and was told to return or I will be terminated. I was fired shortly after. Do I have any rights?

longneck

why do you keep asking the same question over and over? if you were granted FMLA, then your employer only has to give you twelve weeks. that's it. nothing more.

and if you did not qualify for FMLA, then your employer has no obligation to give you any leave at all. if you call in and say you need to take a few days to help your wife, they can terminate you on the spot. you could ask for five minutes, and still be terminated immediately.

Beth3

They recalled you to work; you informed them you weren't available so they terminated your employment.

That's the way it works.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have lots of rights. However, none of them require the employer to hire you back or give you any legal recourse against your employer. Your employer has rights too, and one of them is the right to have an employee who is able to come to work and get the job done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">