• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid off with 5 days notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

red6gulf

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

My husband and I were laid off from a job permanently (thanks to computers). Our employer gave us 5 days notice. We have both worked there for 7 months. Our employer told us to collect unemployment. I heard that when they lay you off like that they are suppose to provide you with 2 weeks pay severance pay or something. Does anyone know anything about this? We received our final paycheck for days worked and that's it. Thank you.

Molly

pattytx

There is no legal requirement in any state requiring severance pay or lieu of notice pay or anything similar. You should file for unemployment benefits on your first day of unemployment. Good luck to both of you.

Be lucky that you at least got five days notice. When I got laid off from AT&T they told us the day of. There were rumors but no confirmations. When they decided to have a meeting about the said rumors they were handing out termination packages. :mad: Oh and it's not required that you get severance unless that's written in your contract...that's usually for vested employees anyway.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What you heard, plain and simple, is wrong.

Although I know of one state where severance is mandatory in certain, limited situations, it is not your state and you were not let go under the conditions where mandatory severance would apply even if it were. Unless you had a bona fide, enforceable contract that specifically says otherwise, they have no legal obligation to provide you with EITHER notice that you are being laid off OR severance of any kind.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I was just a little luckier than you - - but not by much.

I was only given 5 seconds notice by Mrs. Liable, and all I got was laid!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">