• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid off at 8 months pregnant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamabearfl

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida

I was laid off from an at will employer when I was 8 months pregnant due to the company's financial situation (a company of 200+ that laid off about 30 people in the first round). I have friends in HR in New England who have said that this is a major no-no. Is it legal to do in the state of Florida? Do I have any legal options on my side or is this a done deal? I was shell shocked and did sign a document so that I could get a weeks severance pay as I really needed the money. How does that effect the situation?

rmet4nzkx

Had you applied for FMLA?
How were the people laid off determined, seniority etc?
Do you have any contract?
Have you applied for unemployment/disability?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your friends in HR in New England are wrong. Nothing in the law of any states says that you cannot be laid off if you are pregnant.

In ANY state, you cannot be laid off BECAUSE you are pregnant, but you CAN be laid off in spite of the fact that you are pregnant.

A pregnant woman is not entitled to any special consideration. The Pregnancy Discrimination Act says that she has to be treated exactly the same as if she were not pregnant. If you would have been selected for layoff if you were pregnant, then they can lay you off now.

To take any legal action, you would need to show that you were selected for layoff BECAUSE you are pregnant. With a sixth of the workforce being let go, that's going to be a difficult standard for you to meet.

mamabearfl

It's tough to know what/who is right and wrong in their information when they are saying things out of concern for my situation. Thankfully I am receiving unemployment benefits-however pitiful they are. I believe decisions for the layoffs were made by how departments would be consolidated and not by anything else. I just wanted to be sure of where I stood as others who were let go are talking about legal action and I want to be able to solidly say yes or no to them with some information under my belt. Thank you very much for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">