• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

laid off-asked to come back-laid off again

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kindnesscounts

What is the name of your state? IL

The company my husband works for laid off "indefinately" one employee from each department, citing economic reasons due to business slow-down. Of the 3 people in my husband's department, my husband was the most recently hired (he'd been there about 5 years) He filed for unemployment, and has recieved those benefits for approx. 2 months now (He's been looking for another job during this time, but the job market is tough here!)

Last week, he was asked to come back in to work. He was told one of the 2 remaining employees quit while the 2nd person was off for a week on vacation, and there was a backload of work to do. He went in, worked until Friday, and then was told he didn't need to come back the next week.

We've heard of this sort of thing happening before, but don't know what to expect or do now. My husband WAS obligated to go in, right? Either way, isn't this laid off-called back-laid off again going to wreak havoc on his unemployment benefits?

Beth3

"My husband WAS obligated to go in, right?" Not legally obligated but had he refused, it could have impacted his eligibility for further UC benefits.

"Either way, isn't this laid off-called back-laid off again going to wreak havoc on his unemployment benefits?" Wreak havoc may be a bit dramatic. Your husband needs to report any wages he earns to the UC division. His UC benefits for that week will be impacted by any wages he earns - how much they're effected depends upon your State's UC laws and the formula for this kind of situation contained therein.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">