• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid off in CA; Position immediately filled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenlleone

I live and work in California, and was recently laid off after 11 years. The reason I was given? My position was being "dissolved." However, I quickly found out that my position was immediately filled by a junior, cheaper employee, which means that the position wasn't being dissolved at all - they still needed to fill it, but just didn't want to pay as much. Do I have any recourse?

Also, it's my understanding I was to receive unemployment information upon termination and I received nothing. Is that illegal?

jenlleone

I'm sorry, judging by the last post, I should clarify my question. I'm wondering if it's illegal to lay off an employee and provide them paperwork stating their position is being dissolved, and then not dissolve the position but fill it?

justalayman

I'm sorry, judging by the last post, I should clarify my question. I'm wondering if it's illegal to lay off an employee and provide them paperwork stating their position is being dissolved, and then not dissolve the position but fill it?
No, there is basically no law requiring them to be honest with you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is also a great deal of misunderstanding as to what is meant by dissolving or eliminating a position. It does not and never has meant that there is no further need for your duties to be done; it means that there will in future be fewer people doing them. Eliminating a position rarely involves eliminating duties. It means that someone else is doing their duties and yours too.

It is a headcount issue, nothing more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">