• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid off and court order on child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tladdison

I worked in Mississippi and was laid off last week. I have a court order to have child support withheld from my check. I received my last check stub in the mail today and they didn't withhold the child support. With this being a court order for the employer to withhold this from my pay. What are my rights and what action should I take?

racer72

You are still liable for your child support. If your final pay check was issued after your layoff, the court order is no longer in effect and your ex-employer does not have to withhold the support. You may wish to contact your state child support enforcement office and find out what your options are. They will most likely be contacting you in the near future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">