• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid off didn't receive money for last paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Elaine A

My company based in Redwood City, California laid off 500 people on Tuesday September 25, 2001.
My husband was one of those 500 hundred. He received his last pay check and deposited it the next morning.
Our company then proceeded to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Friday September 28, 2001.

On Tuesday October 2, 2001 we received a letter from our bank stating that the check was cancelled and that the company issueing the check had requested that it be returned. The specific classification for the check being cancelled was a "return to maker" code.

It is now Friday October 12, 2001 and our company is stating that it has no new news on whether or not we will be paid, if ever.

Do we have any recourse?? Can we submit a claim as a creditor? If so, how do we go about this?? What is the best course of action in this situation?

We spoke to our bank branch VP and she told us that the money actually posted to my husband's account but then the company requested that the payment be cancelled. She said they had no intention of ever paying the money.

My husband and I are in dire straits we desparately need the money. We thought it was illegal to not pay an employee their last paycheck. What can we do?? Any advice would be very helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">