• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid off due to lack of work and then they hired someone else to do part of my job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

psweatman

What is the name of your state? SC

Just wanted to see if anyone knew if an ex-employer can do this. On 7/8/05(after being with the company since 3/2004) I was brought into my supervisors office and told that I was being laid off due to lack of work and that the industry is not doing good right now. The company is in shipping and packaging materials. Anyways, I found out that they hired someone to do telemarketing calls for them. I was in customer service as well as Administrative support for the sales team and the VP and President of the company. Do I have a means of recourse for them laying me off due to lack of work and then turning around and hiring someone else. I even asked them when he laid me off if they were going to hire someone at a less expensive hourly pay rate. He said no of course. Then less than a month later they hire this other person. Is there anything I can do? Thank you in advance for your help.

Beth3

Do I have a means of recourse for them laying me off due to lack of work and then turning around and hiring someone else. No.

I even asked them when he laid me off if they were going to hire someone at a less expensive hourly pay rate. He said no of course. Then less than a month later they hire this other person. Is there anything I can do? Perhaps at that time they didn't anticipate doing so but even if they did, your employer has not done anything unlawful.

psweatman

Thank you

Thank you very much for your reply, I wasn't sure but didn't think so. Everyone just kept saying they shouldn't be able to do that. Thanks again and have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">