• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Laid off" haha

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justmeand3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I started working as a Customer Service Rep. in a small locally owned business. I started dating the boss (big mistake I know). I broke up with him and within a week I was "laid off due to the economy."
It doesn't really bother me that I was "laid off" because I knew the job was not going to work out. Here is what bothers me...
He repeatedly sends me texts about what an awful person I am and how I am crazy ect...
He went as far as calling my 2 oldest daughters (teenagers) to tell them I was going crazy and I had attempted to kill one of his cats... both total lies!
He refused to let me keep any Christmas presents he gave me and refused to return the ones I had given him.
One text he sent told me he knows about the plan I have to end his life... NO idea of what he is talking about.
He has refused to give me some really nice work clothes I had left at his house.

My main issue now is when I apply for a job and I have to put his company down and contact info ect... If a potential employer contacts him I can hang it up for getting a job. He has told numerous amounts of people I had gone crazy and that is why we broke up. I don't even want to imagine what he is telling potential employers.
Just a few days ago I filed a harassment report against him. The texts have stopped thankfully but that still leaves me jobless and him talking to potential employers of mine.

I have 3 kids and bills to pay. I am at the end of my rope. I don't know what, if anything, I can do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justmeand3

I was laid off Jan. 7th. I just filed for unemployment this week. I was hoping to hit the pavement and find another job right away... that didn't happen... the jobs aren't there. After I pick my kids up from school today I am going to see what type of assistance I can get. All pride has left and now it is a matter of not becoming homeless and feeding my kids.

Hot Topic

Having an affair with the boss because he's incredibly attractive or you think it's going to insure that you're always going to have a job at that company is incredibly stupid.

You shouldn't have left the work clothes at his house. If they weren't worth taking with you when you knew your relationship wasn't going to work out, they aren't worth mentioning now. The Christmas presents thing shows that you both need to grow up.

You have no proof of what he's telling potential employers, and if you're not getting the interviews you think you should be getting, it could be the economy. Employers are getting so many resumes these days that they aren't reading them all. Besides, if he does say things like you tried to kill one of his cats, the employer will probably figure he's unstable and go ahead and contact you.

Don't respond to any texts. People who know you won't believe him. But remember that you gave him the power over you because you didn't keep your romantic and professional lives separate.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you being called for interviews and then not getting the job, or are you not being called for interviews? There is a reason I'm asking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">