• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was laid off my job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tishola

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My job laid me off due to some financial situation with the company and from what they tell me that they couldnt afford to keep me aboard. Now they are only paying me 2 weeks of severence pay and in order for me to recieve this 2 weeks pay I have to sign a release form. I have read the release form a few times trying to figure it out. What Im getting from it is once I sign this form they wont have to pay me for unemployment. So I need a lawyer to look over this release form and tell me should I sign the form to get my 2 week severence pay and collect unemployment or not to sign it because it is a waiver for me not to collect unemployment just the 2 weeks severence pay. Someone please advise......

Last edited by a moderator:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you have a contract that says otherwise, two weeks of severance pay is two weeks more than they are required to pay you.

You're most likely not going to be able to collect unemployment for the two weeks for which you received severance, but it's not going to stop you from collecting it after that.

This is not the way to find an attorney. Reputable attorneys do not troll message boards looking for clients. However, there is a Find A Lawyer section elsewhere on this site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">