• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid-off, need hired but have a felony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hereinpa

What is the name of your state? PA

I was laid-off in April '03 when the local plant closed. I'm desperately trying to find employment (as are many others) but have a felony conviction looming over me from 19 years ago (theft by unlawful taking) when I was 21 years old and a college student. I set myself straight and finished college with a Finance degree. Little did I know that I wouldn't be able to get work with the conviction. The apps back then only asked for the past 7 years on felonies. It was a struggle until that 7 years expired. I was employed by my last employer after that 7 years elapsed and didn't have to answer to it on the app. I had two promotions within the 8 years with the company, the last being a supervisor. Now I'm back looking for work but now the apps ask if I have ever been covicted of a felony. I know the answer of yes pretty much nullifies me to get a job and I don't want to lie. I can't even get temp work because the agencies said they can't hire me due to the felony. I'm in the process of applying for a governor's pardon which I will follow-up with applying for an expungement to remove it from my record. I can't survive without having a paycheck and need to know:

Can the temp agencies use the felony against me and say they can't hire me in any position? If so, why don't they just put the question at the top of their app and have it say "Stop here if you answered yes and leave our office". I wasted three hours of my time in one office until I was told they couldn't get me work due to the felony!

Another company said due to the Patriot Act I could not work for them. It was a health insurance company (not selling). Is this true what they told me about the Patriot Act? Had I worked for them prior to the Act does that mean they could have terminated me after the Act was out?

Who does hire people who answer yes to a felony? I have not found any company that does. Nobody cares that it was 19 years ago while I was a sophomore in college. They all act like it happened yesterday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">