• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

laid off as a result of WTC disaster

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moots17

I was laid off along with 35 other people in a medium sized company last week. It is a temporary layoff which is supposed to last for a couple of months and a specific call-back day was stated. The company was doing badly but our location made us part of the sealed-off area of the WTC terrorism. I asked for my 3 weeks vacation pay and was told that I am not allowed to collect it until I am called back. The problem is that I think that they will be out of business and then deny me my vacation pay because of bankruptcy or something of that nature by the call-back date. Can I get it now?? I also read in another thread that in the event of a mass layoff the company is required to give 2 weeks notice, I was told that day that I was layed off and didn't recieve any notice or a couple of weeks pay. Is this 2 weeks notice thing accurate??

Also, they said that they had loss of income insurance for 4-6 weeks but laid me off after week 3, is it fraud if they collect the insurance AND lay me off (kind of double-dipping)??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">