• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid Off Teacher Collecting Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daria26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi everyone!

I have been RIF'ed (reduction in force) from my former school district and had been collecting the benefits and looking for work. I have interviewd for a long-term substitute this week and it looks like I might get the position. The long term substitute is a 8 weeks position. If I am offered a position and I accept it, and then it ends, do I get to resume collecting UI benefits? If yes, do I start a new claim or reopen my existing claim? And, will I even qualify for a new claim if I will only have 2 months worth of wages? Thank you!

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi everyone!

I have been RIF'ed (reduction in force) from my former school district and had been collecting the benefits and looking for work. I have interviewd for a long-term substitute this week and it looks like I might get the position. The long term substitute is a 8 weeks position. If I am offered a position and I accept it, and then it ends, do I get to resume collecting UI benefits? If yes, do I start a new claim or reopen my existing claim? And, will I even qualify for a new claim if I will only have 2 months worth of wages? Thank you!
When I did something like this, I was able to resume my existing claim.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If I am offered a position and I accept it, and then it ends, do I get to resume collecting UI benefits? Yes, as long as your employment does not end for a disqualifiying reason and as long as either your existing claim still has time on it or you qualify for a new one.

If yes, do I start a new claim or reopen my existing claim? If you still have time left on your existing claim, you reopen it. If you don't, you start a new one, if you qualify.

And, will I even qualify for a new claim if I will only have 2 months worth of wages? Maybe, maybe not. It can't do any harm to try. Even if the answer is no, you're still better off having worked then if you'd turned the job down.

daria26

Still concerned

Thank you for your feedback! I am looking for a full time position. "It can't do any harm to try" - but what concerns me is that if I work for two months and those wages are not enough for me to proceed with a claim, then I risk loosing an entire claim, is that correct?
And, will I even qualify for a new claim if I will only have 2 months worth of wages? Maybe, maybe not. It can't do any harm to try. Even if the answer is no, you're still better off having worked then if you'd turned the job down.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it is not correct.

Your existing claim is not infinite. It will eventually end. If it is still viable when the short term assignment ends, then that's what you go by. You do NOT have the option of opening a new claim if the existing claim is still live.

Refusing a short term offer of work will not make the existing claim continue one day longer than it would have lasted if you never got the offer. In fact, turning down valid work, even short term, can make you ineligible for further benefits.

IF the existing claim has expired and it turns out that the two months is not enough for a new claim, you do not get to open a new claim AT THAT TIME. But the wages from those two months will still count towards the base period of a new claim when you have earned enough further down the road, if a subsequent job should also expire. So no, you won't lose an entire claim. You just will have to wait until you've earned enough to qualify.

commentator

Very very good, cbg. You're becoming really great at this! As if you ever wanted to be:)

OP, not only is it a very good thing career wise to accept a temporary position (think of the contacts you may make, references you may get, positive information about positions in the district, all that jazz) it is a VERY good thing to do related to your unemployment benefits.

When you signed up for unemployment benefits, they gave you a monetary determination of your claim, how much you can draw, and for how many weeks, and a gross amount in the claim. If you stop drawing and work for a few weeks while you still have money in the claim, you do not lose this money, the weeks do not have to be consecutive. They'll be hooked on after you complete the short term job (if you are not fired, don't quit, don't become disabled while it is going on)

In fact, if you look at your claim information you were given, there will be a BYE (benefit year ending) date. This means that this claim is good from the date that you filed it until this BYE passes. It's somewhere in the next six or eight months, a Saturday date that is one year from the date you originally filed the claim.

If you accept the substitute position, you will not file for unemployment insurance during those weeks in which you worked and are paid or will be paid at some point, even if it's much later.

Regardless of when you were paid, you stop filing the first full week you work and then look back and you have worked all the previous week, got it. This means it doesn't matter WHEN they pay you for the work, you did the work and will be paid for it = you don't file for unemployment that week.

When the work is over, you'll "re-open your claim." If for some reason your benefit year had passed while you were working, (you can look at the paperwork you have received to see if that is going to happen)all that would change is that you'd have to file a new claim for benefits before you could start drawing again.

And guess what? Even if you have plenty of wage quarters to set up that new claim, if you have had no other covered re-earnings during that whole year, if you haven't worked anywhere else and been laid off for a qualifying reason, then you cannot begin drawing the new claim. When you do run out of unemployment insurance due to the Benefit Year Ending date passing, they'll take another claim, but if you don't have those magic "reearnings", have not worked anywhere at all during the year, you cannot begin drawing again on a regular claim.

So working this few weeks as a sub, any time you can get it working as a sub will help you in the long run. When your new claim is figured, at the end of your benefit year, you'll not only have more wages in the quarters they are using to figure the new claim, you'll have reearnings in place that will enable you to begin drawing the claim where you couldn't otherwise.

Take the job. work at it until it is over, then refile your claim. Believe me, it's much for the best. If you were to refuse the job, out of fear you might screw up your benefits, you'd have to report it that week to the system and you'd be cut off if you were honest (it's not a good reason to refuse a job) and you'd be committing fraud and very well might be caught and penalized if you didn't.

School systems hate to pay unemployment benefits. If you refuse to come back and work the short term job, you'd better report it yourself, because you can be sure that the school system will report that they offered you the job and you refused it. They almost ALWAYS do that, because people drawing unemployment benefits costs them money in the long run. So be perfectly honest, whatever you decide.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Very very good, cbg. You're becoming really great at this!

Thank you! I had the best teacher! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">