• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid Off via phone call

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dionthurman

CA. Is this legal or does it have to be documented with signatures? I was laid off a few weeks ago over the phone but was never given anything documenting the action.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have absolutely no idea where so many people get the idea that they cannot be laid off except in person. Yes, it is 100% legal to be laid off by phone. No, there is no legal necessity for documenting with signature.

You can be laid off by smoke signal if the employer so chooses.

dionthurman

Thank you. I've had a few Corp upper management positions where we had to document every single little thing done otherwise they didn't consider it "legal" Just wanted to check.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Documentation is preferred. It is best practice. It is not required by law.

commentator

File for your unemployment benefits. The company will be contacted by them to verify that you were laid off. It doesn't matter how they did it, it will not affect your ability to get unemployment insurance. As to giving you your separation information, such as COBRA access information, I can't answer that, assume they will send you something in the mail.

gogo589

You can be denied unemployment for various reasons. Some typical reasons are you failed to meet the minimum length of employment, you were fired for cause (misconduct), or you quit. We know you didn't quit. If they deny you, they must give you a reason, then you can appeal it.

pattytx

re: COBRA notification, the clock starts when your coverage ends. How long has that been (not necessarily your termination date)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">