• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Last Paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dangoldstein197

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was terminated from a salaried position on Friday, one day into our new pay period. I was a salaried employee that was paid every other Thursday. Am I entitled to a full pay period of earnings if fired inside that pay period or can an employer break it down into an hourly wage and only pay me for that? Going further, if so, I was in at work an hour early, do I earn that pay? I know Florida has some crazy laws on salaried employees, so if anyone has a few answers it would help. Thanks.

Beth3

Am I entitled to a full pay period of earnings if fired inside that pay period No.

or can an employer break it down into an hourly wage and only pay me for that? Yes. They need not pay you past the last day you actually worked.

Going further, if so, I was in at work an hour early, do I earn that pay? No, as long as by "salaried" you mean that your position qualified as exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act and you did not work any overtime in that pay period.

I know Florida has some crazy laws on salaried employees, Actually, I don't think Florida has much in the way of wage and hour reg's, other than perhaps the employment of minors. Florida usually follows federal law in nearly everything.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under Federal law, even an exempt employee only has to be paid for the number of days they actually work in the first and last weeks of employment.

Florida has so few laws that differ from the Federal, that when Florida signed into law a minimum wage that differed from the Federal a friend of mine who does HR and payroll in Florida, e-mailed me, "Guess what! Florida has a labor law of its very own!"

Don't anyone bother writing and saying that their Florida employer is still paying you at the Federal minimum wage; the law I mentioned above has not gone into effect yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">