• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lay-off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrreb

What is the name of your state? PA

If you get laid off permanently, can the employer refuse to send you a letter of permanent lay off if they don't plan on hiring you back?

mrreb

and that is legal for them to refuse to send a letter even if there is no intent to re-hire?

Beth3

Yes. A few States require that the employer provide a "service letter" stating the date of termination and the reason (I don't know if your State is one of them) but that doesn't seem to be your issue. You seem to want the employer to send a letter stating you have been permanently laid off and will never be rehired. How can ANY employer say that? Five years from now, you might reapply and indeed be rehired.

mrreb

Well according to the employer they say it's a permanent layoff. The reason I am asking is because I am trying to get assistance from the state of pa and I need that letter stating I am permanently laid off and the employer doesn't seem to want to comply. thank you for your input though

mrreb

does an employer need to notify you in writing about a layoff? or can they just tell you verbally?

Beth3

Verbal suffices.

It's possible the problem you're having with the employer is one of semantics. What you need is a letter from the employer saying you have been terminated due to lack of work and there is no anticipation that you will be recalled to work, correct?

Why don't you contact the employer again (the HR department if there is one) and NICELY explain why you need this letter and that you just need something on company letter head that says your employment has been terminated due to lack of work (assuming that was the case) and that they do not have any plans to ever recall you to work as of this writing.

mrreb

Thank you,

thats exactly what I need but they won't give me one, they are giving me a run around.

Thanks again for your input

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just to tie up a loose end, PA is not one of the few states that requires service letters. (Even in the states that do, the employer is not required to provide the service letter without a WRITTEN request from the employee.)

While I cannot imagine why they are so adamant about not giving you anything in writing, no Federal or PA law compels them to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">