• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lay-off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunnyday123

What is the name of your state? PA
Hello all.... I have a question about unemployment.
My friend was let go (for lack of work, I believe) and almost two weeks later they called him back with an offer for a lot less money. He declined and has been collecting unemployment since. (happened about a month and a half ago) They're fighting the unemployment and want the to be paid back all the monies he collected.
I think I probably already know the answer to the question but thought I'd try anyway. Can they do this? He turned them down because the pay was significantly lower and I believe the job was different. I know employers can pretty much change salaries when they want to, I guess I was just hoping this would be different.
Thank you in advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The state, not the employer, decides who gets benefits and who does not.

The employer has the right to contest benefits, just as your friend has the right to appeal if the decision goes against him. But the employer does not make the final decision or determine whether benefits need to be repaid; only the state can do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">