• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lay-off - Employer's release agreement error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crombieman

Washington,D.C.

I was recently laid off. My employer apparently made an error in the "Release Form" which included my health benefits/severance pay; as it stands, they have signed an agreement to pay my health insurance premiums for 9 months, but apparently they only meant to pay 65%. Now they want me to sign an amended agreement. I told them that I would not. Today I received a certified letter containing a signed copy of their desired amendment, which I plan not to sign. Can I force them to uphold what they originally signed? Avoiding a lawsuit would be preferable, but I have a feeling they will try to get out of it, assuming I won't pursue legal action. The HR woman has already tried to guilt me into giving in, but everyone I've asked (2 engineers and an accountant - ie, no lawyers, but people in the business world) agrees with me - I have a little bargaining chip and my ex-employer wants me to just give it away for nothing. It certainly doesn't seem like a good idea. I'm a recent graduate and new to the working world, but I'm not totally naive.

The value of the insurance would be probably about $1500 - not a ton, but obviously when one is on unemployment, every bit counts. I know their agreement was drafted by an attorney and I'm sure was designed to be as binding/air tight as possible. Any advice for how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. It sounds like I may need representation. Am I totally off base here?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are free to show the documents in question to a local attorney and see what he says. We cannot determine the enforceability of an agreement we have not read. (No, do not post it here.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">