• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lay-Off and Hiring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MikeG24

I was recently laid off from my job on 12/18/01 as the Quality and Training Manager at a telecommunications company. The reason given for this decision was "due to an unforseen decline in the telecommunications industry". This quote is taken from the "Last Day Worked" letter received the day after the lay off. The day following my lay off, 12/19/01, a former employee who had been laid off several weeks prior to this date was then brought back to work to take over my former position. This particular person was an installation supervisor and had no prior experience in the training and quality aspect of the business. Not only was this person previously laid off, but he was brought back into the company as a new hire in the Training and Quality Managment position. There was a company wide e-mail sent welcoming this new employee and congratulating him. I received my severence agreement stating that I would get a three week compensation if I agreed to sign all documents which included one stating that I would not sue the company. My issue with this situation and where I feel I have a definite legal issue lies in the fact that I was "laid off" due to an economic downturn and then a new hire was brought in. There were some concerns with personal issues with the new boss that was appointed above me and the very next day after his appointment was when I was laid off. This company is based in New York however I was hired as a Pennsylavania employee and worked out of an office in PA. I have also received a letter stating that I am a "former valued employee" and I have received nothing but good evaluations and raises since I started with this company in 1998. Do you feel that I have any legal grounds to go forth with this suit?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Only if you have reason to believe that you were "really" laid off due to your membership in a protected group. If not, what happened was unfair but not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">