• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lay off while hiring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtrtkt

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was put on a lay off in June of 2004. I was told this was due to lack of work. However, when I called the owner of the company several times through summer and into fall, I was told that there was still to little work and they did not have the funds to bring either me or the other to men layed off back yet. O was promised to be called right away when work "picked up".However I found out during that time several new employees were hired and to current date, more, and at a higher wage than I was when I was layed off. Is this legal in the eyes of labor laws? Does it now matter if I had to move on to another job after hardship for many months on unemployment.? :confused: :confused:
Thank you for your time
God Bless.

racer72

Your former employer can hire anyone he wants, there is no requirement to re-hire any layed off employees. The only exception would be if there is a union contract between the parties.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Or any kind of contract. It doesn't have to have been a union contract.

But with that provision, racer is correct. Unless you have a bona fide contract of some sort that guarantees you rehire rights, the employer has no legal obligation to rehire you, regardless.

mtrtkt

thanks guys

Thank you for your responses. I was not sure and is good to know for future reference. I appreciate your time. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">