• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lay offs and Non Competes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kevin-W

What is the name of your state? New York

Does anyone know if being laid off by an employer then voids non-compete agreements?

An old co worker of mine was just laid off by a company, and subsequently approached by a competitor.

The old manager (who is a real gem, mind you), gave my friend permission to take the job, but said he can't approach his old account base.

Valid, or no?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one here can interpret the terms of an agreement we have not read.

Your friend will need to show the agreement to a local attorney.

Kevin-W said:
What is the name of your state? New York

Does anyone know if being laid off by an employer then voids non-compete agreements?

An old co worker of mine was just laid off by a company, and subsequently approached by a competitor.

The old manager (who is a real gem, mind you), gave my friend permission to take the job, but said he can't approach his old account base.

Valid, or no?
New York? It wasn't Earl or Dave Hebner was it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">