• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lay offs and rehires

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mlsimmons

I have a general question about labor laws regarding hiring practices after a lay offs. I have asked this question to the unemployment division and got the run around and remains unanswered.

My problem is I was employed for 4 years Around 6 months ago a company bought a division of my company and I was transferred to new company and hired for an IT position doing desktop support. Within a week an IT manager was hired making a 2 person IT department within 30 days a one person was brought in as an IT consultant doing Unix and desktop support and was paid as a consultant. On Dec 7th I was laid off and as a work force reduction. This leaving one full time employee and the IT manager and a IT consultant. I have learned that the IT consultant was offered and accepted a full time position one week after I was laid off filling my position that I was laid off from. I was offered a 20-hour week as an IT consultant ending sometime ending of Jan 2002.

Can an employer lay off an employee and rehire a new employee within a week’s time in the same department?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. They just can't decide who to lay off due to their membership in a protected group.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">