• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Layed off "budget cuts"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sailorgirl888

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Connecticut
I was recently layed off from a university where I work as a manager. They claim it's budget cuts. I was the only one layed off, I am one of the lowest paid and was not the last one hired. I always had issues with my supervisor. She expected perfection from me and I mean perfection. I was extremely nervous if I ever made a mistake. She had told me it might cost me my job if I couldn't do my job. I worked under extreme pressure. An example of a mistake was not correctly inputting a number on a grid. They were minor mistakes. I went to HR when I felt she was trying to terminate me. They felt she needed training on managing people and suggested this to her.
When I was hired my job description was a coordinating piece...a big part of my job. I was not given this piece as at the time her girlfriend was doing it (she is a casual employee). When my supervisor tried to give her girlfriend a part time position with benefits to do this coordinating piece that was supposed to be my job, the union people in our office objected and HR told her she couldn't give her friend this part time with benefits job. It was then that I got this piece back in my job description. My boss continued to change my job numerous times throughout my 3.5 years there. She was constantly switching my job duties...which I have documentation.
I was denied a proper merit increase due to my not paying for my personal phone calls for several months. She said I should be setting an example for the office. I found out that she never paid for her personal phone calls as well as most everyone in the office didn't have to pay for their phone calls. According to her I was the one who should set the example for the office. It cost me a proper merit increase and a poor review.
If that wasn't enough, one time during a staff breakfast (which I was not in attendance ) one of the senior managers announced that I must have some affair going on with one of the outside vendors as he was always in our office repairing equipment. I was mortified that the entire office heard this and had great laughs about it at my expense.
I was never comfortable in this job and was constantly reminded that I was not welcome. I never felt like part of the team. My father is terminally ill and there were times I had to take family leave to assist him. My supervisor made comments that I had to many personal problems which were causing me to make mistakes.
One of the senior mgrs then complained to the Provost of the univeristy about another senior mgr. The provost felt there was too much distention in our office and hired an outside consultant to help the sr mgrs work out their issues. I feel their lack of professionalism and experience in managing cost me my job. I have stellar reviews from previous employers. I'm a good honest worker who just wanted to do her job and be treated the same as everyone else in the office. I'm 47 and my supervisor is 39. Do I have a case of wrongful termination or hostile working environment? There were other things that happened...all documented...just lengthly to write.
I was given 90 days and 8 weeks severance....all layoffs get treated the same depending on years of service. My supervisor refused to give me a letter of reference...she said I had to tell all potential employers to call her personally...which I won't do.

C

CheeseBlotto

sailorgirl888 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Connecticut
Do I have a case of wrongful termination or hostile working environment?
None whatsoever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">