• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Layed off reduction of staff - rehire another person for same job after

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

freeskiier989

What is the name of your state? California

I worked at a ski resort and was approachd to take over another department in the company. We agreed to verbal terms, but when it came time to sign the papers, the reniged on one of the stipulations, i counter-offerred, but they decided to go in another direction. Fine, i thought, ill stay in my current job. Next day i was layed off with no notice, reason: reduction of staff. My job (that i was layed off from) was posted to the public BEFORE the details for the other job (the one they originally wanted me to take) were even finalized, and they left it up until hiring someone else one month later for the exact job description and title i had. This seems like a direct illegal move to get rid of me - you can't layoff someone and rehire their exact position the next month. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Beth3

This seems like a direct illegal move to get rid of me - you can't layoff someone and rehire their exact position the next month. Sure you can. Despite the wide-spread belief that there's some law that dictates an employer must wait "X" amount of time before filling a job vacated by someone who was laid off, that's just not true. They could have hired someone for your former position the very next day had they wanted to.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So, show me where (in this post that's almost a month old) there is ANY indication that there was illegal discrimination involved?

J

jerzeegirl

Thanks for the qualifier...

Good point, a layoff like this is on shaky ground only when there's illegally discriminatory grounds behind it, or it's in violation of some federally protected class or activity. And as we've learned so well from cbg and Beth3, not all discrimination is illegal. Layoffs can occur for no reason, bad reasons, unfair reasons, or just because the employee isn't liked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">