• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Layoff?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheribeli

What is the name of your state? OH

Recently my boyfriend was "laid-off." He was told that they were losing money and could not afford to keep him there. He was given no notice and was asked to leave to same day. He found out two days after he was laid off that another co-worker had gotten a raise that very same day. The co-worker that had gotten the raise told my boyfriend himself what had happened. Do you think that we have any case? Please help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
YOU do not have a case no matter what, and your boyfriend does not have a case based on the information in your post. In an at-will state, which is every state except Montana (and even includes Montana in some circumstances) an employee can quit at any time and for any reason, and the employer can fire him at any time and for any reason not specifically prohibited by law.

Unless your boyfriend has a VALID reason to believe that he was laid off BECAUSE OF his race, religion, national origin etc., or BECAUSE he applied for or utilized a right or benefit that is protected by law, it was perfectly legal to lay him off, even if another employee got a raise. There may have been perfectly legal business reasons why one employee got a raise even if they couldn't afford to keep your boyfriend on, or the manager may not have given your boyfriend the true reason that he was being laid off (and yes, that is perfectly legal too).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">